Monday 5 March 2018

About secret passages

This is the classic board of Clue (or Cluedo as it was originally known in the UK) which is one of my favourite board games. there are two sets of secret passages: one between the kitchen and the studio and one between the conservatory and the lounge. As I blogged before, I always loved the mansion in the game. For many reasons, but one of them being the presence of these secret passages. Secret passages might be cheap tropes in whodunits an detective fiction, so gratuitous in fact that they were heavily criticized early on, but they were also a common element in my make belief games as a child. My brothers and I used them as plot points, sometimes as atmospheric settings themselves (and not merely part of the setting) or even as MacGuffin. We even had a few "real ones" to use sometimes (read my post here). And it never completely left me: I still love the idea of secret passages in fiction, if used properly.

No comments: