Tuesday 12 September 2017

Sharing birthdays

We celebrated very recently the birthday of little Wolfie. Yet it was not solely his birthday, as my son and his grandfather on his mother's side share the same date of birth. It might sound like nothing, but that means that last year, my father-in-law did not really do more on his birthday than wait anxiously for the news and then check about of his grandson was doing in his first day in the world. And this year, his birthday was completely sidestepped in favour of Wolfie's birthday. I was feeling very guilty about it. We tried to remember it, we bought one present for Wolfie's grandfather and said the cake was for both, but let's face it: it was not the grandfather's name on the cake. When my father-in-law came in for the party, I said how sorry I was for stealing his big day, and he said: "Why are you sorry? A year ago you gave me the best birthday present ever." So I think he's okay with it. And this deserves to be a great unknown line.

1 comment:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

seriously, once you get to a certain point, you don't care about birthdays anymore. i'm sure your FIL is thrilled to share his birthday!