Monday 9 January 2017

Burglary alert

Now for something to be worried and especially vigilant about. My wife has a friend/acquaintance, a new mum like her, who lives a few streets away from ours. They recently were broken into when they went out for a walk. That gave us a little chill. We knew already that there had been a rise in burglaries in the neighborhood (my wife reading lots of local news) and we had noticed more police cars patrolling during our own walks. Thankfully for my her friend and her family, they stole nothing, probably hearing them coming back. Crime fiction (a literary genre I am very fond of) often makes burglary something glamorous, with gentleman thieves, but the reality is something far scarier and far more unpleasant. All loss of valuables aside, it is the feeling of being violated in the intimacy of our home which I fear. So I will keep my eyes and ears open.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Gentlemen thieves? More usually drug addicts looking for stuff to pawn or fence for the next fix.

Ms Misantropia said...

My parents' house was broken into about a year ago when they were out celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary. My mom says she didn't feel violated because it had nothing to do with them. Most burglaries only take a couple of minutes and the thieves have no time or interest looking at your life, only finding valuables.