Wednesday 2 November 2016

The high standards of the local bookshop

There is a little anecdote I have been wanting to share on this blog, but never had the occasion or the time yet. A few weeks ago, I briefly went to the local bookshop, where I have a membership. As I was giving my family name so the woman at the till could identify me on the system and register the points made with my purchase, she then said my first name. She said it perfectly, like a French speaker would. That might sound like nothing, but in England, this is close to a first for me. I said: "You said Guillaume perfectly, how did you do that?" She replied, with a faux smugness: "Well, we have high standards." I thought that was quite funny and deserves to be a great unknown line. There are many, many reasons why I love the local bookshop, this is a new one, having staff members able to say a French name like a native speaker. High standards indeed.

1 comment:

Gwen Buchanan said...

I like this. Fun and a pleasant surprise