Sunday 14 February 2016

Happy Lupercalia!

Today is Valentine's Day, a day I never liked much, because it is depressing when single and stressful when in a relationship. You can find my observations on the day here. So I have decided to observe Lupercalia instead, the old Roman festival that was hijacked and Christianized into what we now know as Valentine's Day. Okay, so I will not really do anything specifically Lupercalian today, but I will call it with its old Pagan name, just because. Lupercalia has wolf in its name, as it is in the honour of Lupa, the she-wolf who breastfed Romulus and Remus. And I love wolves, so that is good enough for me. Of course, Lupercalia is not on a single day: it started yesterday and will continue tomorrow. So I will enjoy it on two days in a row. I don't know exactly how to observe it though. Maybe I will read about wolves and Romulus and Remus. In any case, I find it far less stressful than Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So you'll get your wife a little stuffed wolf pup as a gift?

Guillaume said...

Oh that would have been a great idea!