Monday 25 May 2015

The peregrine falcons of Norwich Cathedral

This is a little piece of news that i found on the Facebook page of Springwatch. Which new season starts tonight, by the way. So for my readers living in the UK, please don't forget to tune in tonight at 8. Anyway, here is the bit of news: a family of peregrine falcons has chosen the Norwich Cathedral as their home. In French, the name is "faucon pèlerin", "pilgrim falcon", so it makes sense that these ones have a church as a nesting place. It must be quite a sight. My family has a bit of history with peregrine falcons, as they were among the hawks that had chosen our back garden as hunting grounds, because of the many birds mangers we had (and still have). Maybe I should choose Norwich as a future holiday destination. Until then, I wonder if they are going to be featured on Springwatch tonight.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We often had peregrine falcons nesting on high buildings in Winnipeg, including the Legislature. Very cool.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the peregine falcons that nest on the skyscrapers just below me have found my gardens and all the exotic birds that live here. i chase them away several times a day to protect the birds. i think they ate some of my fish too.