Saturday 8 March 2014

King Lear in London?

I don't really like London and I am trying hard to like the city again, or at least stop disliking it as much. I don't know when it started, I think it was around my long bit of unemployment in 2008, when I was going there every week or so for interviews with job agencies. I grew disgusted of the city. Nevertheless, I went there last Saturday for the first time in a long time. I thought I would get reacquainted with the city in small doses. But soon I read something in the Metro that made me want to back sooner than expected.

I haven't been to see a play in ages, not since last year in Manchester and I have been wanting to see a play for ages. Then flicking through the Metro I discovered that the National Theatre is featuring King Lear by... Well, you know the author. The play is directed by Sam Mendes and Simon Russell Beale has the title role. It just struck me: I really want to see that play. Not merely because it is the Bard, or because it has been well criticized, or because the director has directed the last and will direct the next James Bond movie, but because I miss seeing something on stage, I miss the atmosphere of a theater. And, well, I do like King Lear quite a lot. I am not sure how feasible it will be in the next few weeks, nevertheless I have decided that will go and see more plays. Even though I envy the actors on stage.

No comments: