Sunday 19 May 2013

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

I wonder if there are other readers who were into the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks when they were younger. I was and, as you may have seen, I recently purchased a number of similar gamebooks in recent years: this one first, then that one and that one.They were horror themes gamebooks. The one I purchased recently, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, is a more classic gamebook, I mean more akin to what I usually read in childhood, medieval fantasy stuff that predates my time as a Dungeons & Dragons player. So yes, I bought this one, the very first of the series. Which I ironically never read as a child. I will read/play it eagerly, and it should somewhat calm my need to play D&Dr. At least for a while. Sure, it is not exactly James Joyce's Ulysse, but it is enjoyable naive fun wrapped in childhood nostalgia.

2 comments:

PJ said...

Le premier est le "plus classique" de la gang. Il a vraiment je crois, tous les éléments essentiels d'une partie de Donjon (donjon, sorcier, dragon, bottes elfiques...). Du moins, c'est l'impression que j'ai eu en jouant la version jeu de société chez Gendron une fois.

Guillaume said...

Ca me fait jusqu'ici penser à aventure de bas niveau. Ca pourrait facilement s'adapter, en fait.