Thursday 8 November 2012

Tiramisù and Italian

I haven't blogged in a while about my progress in Italian (last time was in September) and a recent anecdote reminded me of it. Last Monday, I had tiramisù for breakfast. I have my breakfasts at work, usually some biscuits, scones, cereal bars I can bring. An Italian colleague had made for us a tiramisù. I was on my way to my desk after a long meeting when she told me, in Italian that there was tiramisù available, and come and get yourself a piece. I was startled: I had understood it. Not everything, but most of it, enough to know there was a tiramisù available. It seems that my sporadic Italian lessons are working somehow. So I said grazie tante and I scooped myself some tiramisù. In the morning. For breakfast. There was some alcohol in it. So fitting. I love Italian breakfasts for this, they are so unapologetically sugary and decadent. So authentic Italian tiramisù for breakfast (I just cannot get over it) and I could understand Italian. It made for a nice beginning of the week.

3 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

What a Breakfast treat! and good for you for learning Italian!!!
Glad to know you won't starve when you head off to Italy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi Guillaume! I had to return your visit in order to see what Italian delight you had for breakfast! I see from your profile that you're originally from the Saguenay -- so is a very dear friend of mine. She showed me all around the Saguenay when I was young and I enjoyed seeing this beautiful region very much!

Guillaume said...

@Gwen-It is about all I can do in Italian at the moment: order food and beer.
@Debra-Thank you for commenting on and following my blog! And about your friend: what a small world.