Saturday 20 October 2012

Evil in the fog

Here is a quick post for my countdown to Halloween, unfortunately I do not have a picture to accompany it. I woke up this morning and it was foggy outside, or at least misty. It disappeared quickly, so I did not have time to take a picture, or I did not take the time. I was too busy awing at the fog.

People know what is the link here with Halloween: the fog is the elements in which many monsters and evil creatures dwell, and is an important part of many horror stories. Ghost appear in the fog, they are themselves etheral and fog like, will-o'-the-wisps lead travellers to their doom in foggy swamps, vampires can become mists themselves. The movie The Fog makes it even a malevolent creature in itself. I enjoyed that one, by the way. It is not nearly as good as Halloween (the plot often gets messy), but I thought it mixed fairly well elements of a classic ghost story with slashers. And it had lots of fog and the atmosphere that comes with it. So today I was looking at the fog and thinking about all the evil that could dwell in it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not a huge fan of the horror genre, but The Fog terrified me! I often wonder what it was about the film that managed to spook me when most others fail too. Perhaps it is the things unseen, only guessed at..the same reason people are afraid of the dark I suppose.