Sunday 8 July 2012

Blueberry cake: I found my gastronomical purpose

Recently, my fellow blogger October Farm posted a blueberry cake recipe for the 4th of July. It looks absolutely delicious, and very much like the strawberry shortcakes we used to eat during summertime at home. But this would be more appropriate for me as a summer dessert, because I am from Saguenay Lac-St-Jean, where the blueberry is our regional fruit, the one we get our nickname from. So I want to make that cake. I feel like I found my purpose as a cake maker. This recipe screams like a recipe from Saguenay. It dates back from 1886. The hidden treasures one can find on the blogosphere. 

But I am slightly worried about it. Because I am not very good at making cakes. I pften make catastrophy cakes. And blueberries are not cheap here and come in small quantities. I don't mind buying them, I do regularly when they are available, but I wouldn't want to waste good blueberies in a catastrophy cake. Then again, I want to make that cake one day.

4 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

oh...i hope you give the cake a try. cakes can always be tricky though when you aren't used to baking them! i am always in an autumnal mood but after the weather we have been having, i am in a permanent dead of winter mood. it's still hot and humid here!

Guillaume said...

I will give it a try, I just need to gather time and courage.

suzanne said...

Love, love, love blueberry cakes. But they can be tricky, likely because of the high moisture content of the berries. Then again, blueberry season is quickly approaching. Maybe you can make a quick trip to Canada to stock up and do some experimenting. :D

Guillaume said...

@Hallowee Spirit-I am generally a poor cake maker. That is why I hesitate so much about making this one.