Monday 23 July 2012

Adapting to the heat

Summer has finally arrived and has now settled. By this I mean that it is finally hot, we have had no more rain since last week. It happened suddenly, it hit me like a ton of bricks (this line is a cliché I cannot help but like, thus I use it more than it deserves). It was a shock today feeling the heat of the sun, and it seems that we are heading right into a heatwave. I am not complaining, having summery weather and temperatures in July is not too early, but it means that I will need to get used to it, adapt in fact, and renew with old routines.

I need to cover my ridiculously pale and thus sensitive skin with sun cream before going out, especially when I want to read outside. I need to shave daily because even a five o'clock shadow makes me feel so darn hot. I will need to wear lighter clothes and also/especially light coloured clothes. This is a real problem: I don't have that many colourful clothes. Even my t-shirts are dark: black, navy blue, stripey black and grey, more black stuff I had forgotten I had, etc. I think like a man who comes from the cold. Which is an absurd caricature: we have a summer in Québec too and they are very hot. I will need ro remember this in the days and weeks to come.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

I always bring a sweater or a scarf with me even though it's 25°C, i'm always scared of being cold!

Guillaume said...

In England, this fear is entirely legitimate.

Gwen Buchanan said...

This year our weather is opposite... we have finally got one day of rain after being hit with a heatwave that lasted a month. Enjoy

Guillaume said...

We should have our first real storms by Friday. I can barely wait.