Tuesday 17 January 2012

An evening of social life (and nostalgia)

I don't have much of a social life here, sometimes I avoid people even. I don't like spending time with my colleagues outside of work and I love to spend my evenings in. Most of the time that is. I do feel the need to see people, as long as they are like-minded. So I was happy to learn that at last, I was going to see again my fellow actors/acting students, those who did the radio plays. We are going to take a pint (or two) in a nearby pub, the same one we went to after we recorded the plays. That is a nice way to cut the week in half and to end a Wednesday. I am not sure how numerous we are going to be, so far I counted five or six people including me, which isn't that many. But it will be nice to see them again, all the same. Here, it is the closest thing I have to a circle of friends, even though they are little more than acquaintances. We do share the same interests, which counts for something. And the bond that is created when one practice an art together is always quite strong, no matter how little we meet. Maybe not as strong as intense.

It will also be a time of nostalgia. I say nostalgia and the class ended less than a year ago. But again, it was very intense. And it is something I miss and I am sure I am not the only one. When one gets into acting, it is a hook: he might stop for a while for various reasons (rarely good ones), but the longing stays in him/her. The good thing is that one can start acting again. I don't know when I will do it, but I know I will.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Ah the lonely life of expats ;)

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well I am the same way. I really don't much enjoy going out with people just for the sake of doing it. I'd much prefer to sit home with my family making dinner, watching movies or going out with them if I'm going to go out. My social circle is very small, and the nucleus is my family and mother. From there it radiates out only so much as to include close relatives (niece, cousins) who are my same age. We all get on wonderfully. From there I pretty much build a wall to keep out those that I don't really know or like. I've opened it up mainly for new like-minded friends that I've met on-line (which is quite out of character for me). But those meetings, I've actually really enjoyed. But I am VERY particular about who I spend my time with, as there is never enough of it as it is! The misunderstood life of an introvert....

The Gill-Man said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about that feeling you get from the acting bug. I haven't done a play since 2004, but I constantly wish I could be performing. If anything, that feeling has intensified as time has gone on!

Guillaume said...

@The Gill-Maan-You did acting too? Cool! I haven't done a real play on stage since 2002, I did a few acting classes after, but no production sadly.

The Gill-Man said...

Oh yes. I've been acting, on and off, most of my life. The last one I did was "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (which I also produced) back in 2004. Although it deviates from my normal blog topics, I might post some pics and tell some stories from that show. I had never produced before, so it added an extra dimension to the proceedings!

I love performing, and I'd love to do another show. It's just hard when you have kids and a job and all of that. Finding the time is the challenge.