Friday 23 September 2011

Autumn equinox

Today is/was the autumn equinox. So it is officially autumn today. For me it has been autumn for a long time already, but let's commemorate the equinox. Here is a little explanation about the date of the equinox by my brother, which he gave here:

"The equinoxes and solstices are sidereally (or more accurately, solarly) defined, and the revolution of the Earth around the sun is not an integer multiple of its rotations on itself. The year is 365.2422 days, thus these events tend to hover around 2 days on the calendar."

From tomorrow onwards the nights will be earlier and earlier. I don't mind that, I find darkness calming.Now I will set scientific explanations aside. For me, autumn is a state of mind and an aesthetic attitude. Big words, I know. But still... I know it is not very original, but to celebrate autumn on this blog I decided to put here Autumn from The Four Seasons of Vivaldi, animated by Ferenc Cakò. Played to death, but still, it is worth listening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The change of seasons is always lovely as is this piece of music, and in the Southern hemisphere it is Spring and the days are getting longer. s this piece of music, and in the Southern hemisphere it is Spring and the days are getting longer.

PJ said...

Les journées raccourcissent depuis le solstice. C'est le raccourcissement qui est au plus vite à l'équinoxe d'automne, et il continuera en diminuant la cadence jusqu'au solstice d'hiver.

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Happy Autumn Equinox Guillaume! Love the video and the music...a lovely start to my FAVORITE season of the year! Thanks for sharing! :o)