Wednesday 17 August 2011

To add AdSense or not?

Blogspot has been bothering me with me since I logged into my account: "your blog is popular, why not make some money with it, allow Google to put ads on it, add AdSense bla, bla, bla"... It sounds so utterly unsincere: I don't even have 30 official followers yet and I don't have that many regular readers or visitors. I doubt I can make much if any money with it. And I usually hate ads and think there are too many of them. Why add some here?

Yet I am surprised at feeling tempted about it. Maybe because there is a slim chance I could make some money from it, and even though it wouldn't be much, that would mean that I would get money from writing, albeit indirectly. Even my thesis didn't get me anything, it costed more for me to get it published. There is some kind of recognition in earning money. Praises don't always satisfy as much. But then again, this blog is not meant to be some kind of virtual store. There is Amazon for that. So I ask my readership what they think about it. To add AdSense or not?

4 comments:

Mozart's Girl said...

Hi Guillaume...thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog, I always read yours but don't always have time to comment...or can think of anything interesting to say! I got the same ad today. For what it's worth, I'm ignoring it. I don't write my blog with any expectations..& I don't want it to become commercial. I had another offer a while back from someone who wanted to advertise through my blog...didn't reply! But that's not to say that I think you'd be wrong to do it if you decide to. It's just my opinion! Hope you're both well...love, Rachel x

PJ said...

Tu ne feras au plus que quelque sous, alors ne rajoute pas de la pub sur ton blogue. C'est se pervertir pour rien.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

The only reason I would caution against it....is that some filters will cause your blog not to display because it could be listed as "advertising" - I have only had this happen when a blog has a lot of ads....so I am sure just one will not hurt :0

Don't worry, I will be here either way :D

Cheers!

tao.owl said...

I am in the same predicament, not really enough followers where it would justify the trouble, although it would be nice to make a little extra money to supplement my horrible paying job. If you decide to "add"this feature, you may want to read the fine print in the agreement to ensure you do not have to pay a penalty longterm if you do not get enough traffic clicking on this feature. I think that i read somewhere that a fee may be assessed if this occurs. Keep us updated on your experience if you decide to move forward!