Monday 22 August 2011

Singing without an audience

I discovered recently that I am not the only person alive who loves opera in... well, in my working place. A senior colleague is also really into it (I mentioned her once before, actually, she calls me Guillermo and thought I look too serious). I learned it last week and we chatted about it, she learned that I actually used to learn opera. I guess there is nothing to be overtly enthusiastic about: she is from a generation where opera is not passé. As an opera buff in my thirties, I am a living anachronism.

Anyway, today she asked me to sing in front of my colleague, whatever I wanted. My manager seemed less than enthusiastic about the idea. I politely refused. I don't like the idea of being a singing canary, but I don't think it was the proper time. I sang once at work in another lifetime and I did feel sometimes that both the pupils and the teaching staff thought I was weird. I love to sing, but it has to be spontaneous. I rarely sang in front of an audience, by any practical means I never really performed in front of an audience. Claudiiine is the one who heard me most of the time. It is something I would love to do, to perform on a stage, even for a few arias, like I do with acting. But for the right audience, not so colleagues could have a good laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Singing in the shower however is compulsory, and good for the spirit :-) I hope that you fulfill your dream to sing for an audience again.