Tuesday 12 July 2011

Living in English

Warning: I am going to ramble again on accent and languages...

Somebody else told me today at work that I got a twang when I speak in English. And of course she couldn't find out where I was from. When I communicate in French, I now do it through my writing, either on this blog, or when I write an email or updates on Facebook. Of course I call my parents from time to time, but overall I speak little French. But even though I speak in English most of the time, I still don't speak like a native. I don't know why: I can with Italian but not English. I find it slightly insulting when people think I'm French. I mean my accent is not that bad. And it's not like I am very French in look, or manerism or whatever. I don't even feel French culturally I guess I am condemned to be foreign and exotic, wherever I go. To sound exotic too. Well, exotic at best, foreign at worst. These are two different perceptions.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

I know, I find it so insulting when they I get asked if I am French, I much rather like being ask if I'm German ;)

I don't know if it will make you feel better but my mother in-law has spent more than 40 years in France and still sound very Swiss (German)!

PJ said...

Si tu l'apprends après l'enfance, tu ne perdras jamais complètement l'accent "étranger" d'une langue seconde. Il ressort toujours un moment donné (lire "un m'ad'né").

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Hmmm....I have serious doubts that YOUR 'twang' is anything like mine...ha! Tell them to come to the Southern United States and then they'll REALLY hear a 'twang', ha! Besides, the fact that you can speak several languages is such a wonderful asset. Although admittedly, I also have a hard time getting a feel for what you really are.

Strangely, your name sounds very French to me, but for some odd reason, I had always thought of you as Italian until you mentioned being from Canada. I have no idea what Nationality you might look like of course, and I obviously cannot hear your speaking. And although your written English is perfect, your content certainly revels that you aren't American. It's always good to keep 'em on their toes! :o)

tao.owl said...

That's interesting, when my husband and I were on our return flight from Montreal several years ago, we were shocked to hear how we Americans sound after not being around Americans for several weeks. I have to admit, it was slightly disturbing. I guess everyone has their own opinion on speaking styles and their sound. It's fun to be mysterious though and keep them guessing.