Saturday 4 June 2011

Those long summer days

This picture was taken in April, but it sure looks like June on it. It is June now and summer is here, no doubt about it. It is hot, even sticky today, it is sunny, it is light until very late (as I am typing those words it is 8:30 and still sunny). I am not particularly a summer person, but I am getting used to the temperature and adapting myself to summertime.

Even though I don't have any holiday planned soon, I try to enjoy this still freshh summer. Which means I try to spend a lot of time outside, I drink a lot of cold beer (at least when weekend comes) and wine and overall I get rough on my liver. But this is something I learned to do at home. Yesterday, I had a little bit too much alcohol and woke up with the mother of all headaches. I got myself together with a healthy breakfast (read: lots of peanut butter and some smoothies for Vitamin C) and a good deal of water to keep myself hydrated. Now I decided to do the same thing tonight and had pasta and pesto (this pesto to be precise) drowned into lots of white wine. South African wine, I think it is just fitting with the heat here, the wine has to be African. I am a Philistine when it comes to wine, I have little wine culture so I can have a cheap(er) wine and still be happy with it. Oh, and I listen to this song. For some reason, I think it screams summertime.

2 comments:

suzanne said...

Sounds like you're enjoying your summer so far. Sometimes I feel like I live in the only part of the Northern Hemisphere in which summer hasn't yet arrived. I needed a warm sweater this afternoon. :/

tao.owl said...

Eggs, lots of water, and Aleve, this is my hangover remedy. I read a quote recently by Frank Sinatra, it read something like this - I feel sorry for people who don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that is the best they are going to feel all day - There is nothing better than a cold beer on a hot summer day, cheers!