Wednesday 1 June 2011

Reading a libretto in Italian

I do something these that gets me quite proud: I read the libretto of Don Giovanni by Lorenzo Da Ponte. I found it in a used bookstore in Montreal, in a bilingual edition, French and original Italian. Nothing outstanding here, I used to read the libretti of operas sometimes just before I listened to the whole thing. But here is the thing: I discovered that I barely need the translation. Maybe it is because I have listened and watched the opera a million time, but I do think it is also because I am finally getting into the language itself.

All linguistic pride aside, it is an interesting way to experience an opera without the help of the music. Even without Mozart, I am amazed about how much poetry there is in the lyrics and how brilliantly defined are the characters. Oh, and just for kicks, here is a bit of Don Giovanni, without the subtitles. Finch ha d'al vino sung by Rod Gilfry. I tried singing it a few times. This aria is pure torture for a singer. It is also the first I heard of this opera and it got me hooked.

1 comment:

Mozart's Girl said...

Well you might have guessed that I'd be first to comment on this post Guillaume!! Wonderful aria...and I agree (I studied Italian for 6 years) when you know the opera so well, you hear the music & see the action in your head as you read. Better with the music though...xx