Wednesday 22 June 2011

Longing for Ireland

Sometimes I can be such a sucker. There are these adverts on TV, from Tourism Ireland, urging us to discover the country. It is really cheesy, with a violin playing a reel in the background and people enjoying Guinness and so on. (And by the way I wonder if Guinness pays to be in the advert or if they got free publicity.) Everything looks too green and too staged and does not look quite like the Ireland I remember more than ten years ago. Basically it looks like a bloody postcard. You can see for yourself here. Yet when I watch this I want to be there badly. I wouldn't mind of it was pouring rain, I will enjoy the drinks more (and even the hangovers afterwards). And I cannot help but feel baffled that advertisement works so well on me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I look at my photos of my trip to Ireland many years ago, any number of them could indeed be picture postcards, and the Irish themselves are so warm, and welcoming. Don't be too puzzled at falling for the advert, Ireland is a magical place, and I don't know anyone that has been there who hasn't fallen for that magic, and wants to go again, and again:-)

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ireland is tops on my list! There are many countries that I want to visit over there, but I must say Ireland holds the #1 spot. Probably because I have some Irish roots, but I feel a connectedness to it that goes beyond that. I think 'magical' is the right word! So I must go see for myself. :o)