Monday 20 June 2011

Dying oceans

I was blogging yesterday about a role playing game named after Cthulhu, a creature that was supposed to one day get out of its oceanic sleep and take over the world to enslave mankind and destroy human civilisation. Lovecraft wrote fiction and he couldn't be further away from the truth: the oceans are actually dying. Because of human activity of course and among other things human hunger. I am going to feel guilty from now on when I eat fish and I think I might abandon my dream to become a pescetarian. I can even eat squids, see the Great Cthulhu is harmless in real life.

This kind of bad news affects me a lot: I am naturally fascinated by oceans and sea life, as my long time readers probably have noticed. Sea life, there is not much left of it sadly. So Lovecraft had it all wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find human beings, what we do to each other, and our precious earth far scarier than any of the horror stories/games you mentioned in your last post. I wouldn't eat anything out of our polluted oceans even if I did eat fish, as parts of them is pure poison. I hope the vegetarian lifestyle is adopted by more people when they read things like this, and if it is impossible to limit the quantities of meat they eat. But the human race is a greedy lot, and I think that we have woken up too late. A thought provoking, and uncomfortable post Guillaume, but so necessary. Thank you.

Guillaume said...

Thank you. I didn't think it was thoughts provoking, I thought it was a sad and gloomy post.