Sunday 6 March 2011

More on knowledge, culture and Anthony Burgess

"Literature is not easy, but without literature we are lost."

I found this video on Youtube today, an old interview with Anthony Burgess (well, it has to be old, he died in 1993 after all). Too bad I cannot get the rest. Anyway, what he said in this interview touches subjects that he adressed in One Hand Clapping and which I talked about on this post. I don't have much more to say about it, except that as a former teacher it touches me a lot. Maybe I am paranoid and fatalist, but I fear of a time when culture in general and literature in particular will be devalued universally in the educational system.

On a side note, I loved the allusion to Nausicaa in The Odyssey and it reminds me that I still haven't had my pilgrimage. Not since 2007. There is also a series of videos about the IABF which you can find on Youtube. Makes me long for a trip to Manchester

No comments: