Thursday 27 January 2011

The birthday of Mozart

I am lousy with birthday dates, I mean very lousy. So I am happy that Mozart's Girl reminded me on her food blog that today was the birthday of Mozart. I have been listening to his arias all evening. That is the best way to celebrate I think, on a week night when I was not planning anything anyway. I could sing some of them, but that might drive my wife mad.

So I was not expecting to put music on this blog so soon, but the circumstances now force me. The best way to celebrate Mozart is to listen to his music and have people listen to it. As I said before, I came to Mozart through his operas. It is logical that I put an aria here tonight. Which one is the question. I thought my readers might get a bit tired of listening to baritone singing stuff I used to sing or wished I had sung and it makes me green with envy when I listen to them, so I have decided to put an aria sung by Danielle de Niese. Sure, she is not Natalie Dessay who is my favourite soprano now, but I still feel guilty for blogging some mean things about Danielle de Niese a while back. I mean, the girl was in the Met at 19! At that age, I had barely started learning to sing. And I never master it enough, let's be honest. Anyway, she sings Una donna a quindici anni from Cosi fan tutte very nicely there, with just mischievious and bubbly enough to make us forget that we are in a concert. Singing in character, with character. And well, it's Mozart in all its simple beauty.

1 comment:

Mozart's Girl said...

A wonderful & fitting way to celebrate the birthday of our little Genius, Guillaume! Just beautiful...thanks for sharing x happy weekend!