Sunday 30 May 2010

My drugs (or yours)

I had discovered now that I drink more and more tea, and that I drink it regularly. At least two cups a day, sometimes three. Nothing outstanding, but for someone who was only drinking it episodically not so long, this is a sharp change that almost looks like the beginning of an addiction.

Some people cannot start their day without a cup of coffee. I am glad I never felt for it, but I might be falling for a drink that is also high in caffeine. That said, we all have our addictions. Mine happen to be legal in this part of the world and I never had them so strong as it took over my life. More importantly, I have learned to know my limits. For instance, I love beer and I love it for its taste (yes, I do, seriously), but I rarely get drunk nowadays and usually stop drinking when I start feeling dizzy. I rarely drink alcohol more than two days in a row and strongly dislike the cheap brands. I think this esomewhat elitist approach to beer prevented me from developing alcoholism.

And then there is chocolate, or indeed anything that is sugaree. I can live without sugar, for a while at least, but then sometimes I crave for it uncontrollably. It is probably one of the few things I can say that I am genuinly addicted and feel the loss. And you, what are your drugs of predilection?

No comments: