Wednesday 7 April 2010

A time for sugar

For the first time in four years, I was back in Québec for the "temps des sucres", which means the time when we the maple syrup and its products get made. It was also Easter. So it was and it is still a wonderful time for my sweet tooth. I had for the first time in four years (four years!) maple butter and maple taffy. I don't care all that much about the taffy, although it was nice to taste the very distinctive taste of maple and smell its spicy perfume. And maple taffy, like maple syrup, has a lovely amber or golden colour. But I was happier to have maple butter on my toasts in the morning, as it is something I cannot get in Europe.

And I got a dark chocolate rabbit for Easter. Dark, not with milk. A sign that I am older I supposed. It was quality stuff. As a child, I usually had one by Lulu or sometimes the Pères trappistes. I might still buy some, leftovers from Easter, out of pure nostalgia.

No comments: