Sunday 3 May 2009

Summer mood

As you might know if you have been reading this blog for a while, I love seasonal changes. I can live with freezing cold days or heatwaves as long as they are supposed to be seasonal. Nothing makes me feel happier than a sunny, frisky and sunny Autumn day or a hot Summer day. And the smells that brings the new season are always lovely, except Springtime where it often stinks of mould. I hate hot Autumns, hate even more hot Winters and get grumpy when Summertime is cold and wet like in 2007. All this to say that the new sunny and hot (well, nearly hot) weather that arrived as early as this early May makes me feel quite happy, and hoping for better days in June, July and August. Summer means to me Summery readings (more crime fiction and the Bond books I haven't read yet), Summery movies (mainly Bond movies and spaghetti westerns), Summery music (yes, that kind of music) and Summery clothes (i.e. not wearing black clothes all the time). I wish it would include Summery activities more, but I haven't been in a swimming pool in ages. It all depends on the temperature, a heatwave might turn this wish into necessity. There is a French market in town, something that comes in May here. French products are often associated with Summer and hot temperature, at least the products that come from the midi, such as olives which I love to buy and garlic. It has been a nice weekend so far.

And I put this weather vane here only for arbitrary reasons. I took the picture a bit less than a year ago, I did not know where to put it but did want to put it on the blog.

4 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

crime fiction Guillaume! Please don't forget to visit my blog. (I had an exciting day yesterday.)

I love the changing seasons. Even when the weather turns autumnal there's a frisson of excitement in the air. This time of year is particularly lovely with the blossom on the trees and the visceral memories of long lazy summer days, drinking Pimms and reading (crime fiction of course!)

PJ said...

Citons Richepin (via Brassens, bien sûr):

"Ô vie heureuse des bourgeois! Qu'avril bourgeonne
Ou que décembre gèle, ils sont fiers et contents."

C'est peut-être bourgeois de notre part, mais moi aussi, j'aime bien les saisons à leur place. Je trouve que l'Outaouais réchauffe un peu trop vite au printemps.

VioletSky said...

There is a certain excitement in the air with the change in seasons. And a bit of hopefulness - even with the coming of winter (a relief from the heat, and a chance to wear warm wooly sweaters?)

I laughed when I saw your weather vane, as I have been finding them all over the place where I never knew they existed since I started up my photography! i'm getting wuite a collection of vanes and steeples.

WV = portions

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Ahh...you've made me ponder here. I love the changing seasons also. But in Florida, we typically only have one season, and that is perpetual summer, which I can't stand. I am rather cold blooded, (always cold), so I can withstand the heat better than most, and can't tolerate the cold at all. So Florida is probably the best place for me. But I long for all 4 seasons, especially Autumn. In Florida the Springtime is the best, everything is lush and beautiful and the temps are just perfect. Our Autumns can be warm which I despise, so I head up to New England to get my fill of Fall. But 2008 was the most fabulous weather year we've had in Florida in a LONG time. It was pleasant as always in the Spring, warm and muggy as is typical in the Summer, but finally we had a nice Autumn with some cool temps. And a cold Christmas for the first time in a long time. It was almost a 4 season year here. I think when my last parent passes on one day, I should like to move farther north where I can have a real Fall, and perhaps less insects...ha!