Tuesday 24 February 2009

A farewell to meat

I thought I would write a less serious post for a change, as recently this blog has been taking itself too seriously. Last Saturday, I had for the first time in six years (if I am not mistaken), a kebab, pictured on the right. It looks disgusting, but it is delicious. I had a kebab not only for the nostalgic pleasure of eating one, but because I thought I needed some real meat. You see, today is Mardi Gras, or Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day (?). Which means that we will make pancakes tonight for dessert. Which means also that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. For Catholics, Lent meant that you had to give up meat (that is, flesh from warm blooded animals) until Easter. I am no more a Catholic, let alone a practicing one, but my vegetarian wife thinks it is a lovely tradition and made me promise to give up meat for Lent. So I decided to say my farewell to meaty food with a bang, and what's better for this than a doner kebab? I might as well have something unhealthy before this long period of balanced, healthy diet. I will write more about Lent in the next few days. The Godless man I am do enjoy old traditions, and this one is particularly interesting. If the pancakes don't turn out too bad, I will put some pictures of them on the blog.

No comments: