Tuesday 20 January 2009

Men of power, men of glass

I guess I don't have to tell you what I did this afternoon. One thing really struck me during the whole ceremonial: it was seeing Dick Cheney in a wheelchair. I never liked the man and I must confess I felt a bit of schadenfreude watching him like this, but that's not what prompted me to blog again today. It was the way he, who used to be so powerful, now seemed frail and broken, almost dying. I know he never had a good health, but he never looked so powerless. It was illustrating perfectly the end of the Bush administration: a wounded, out of touch, dying dynasty moving away for good, having been broken by the power they used, the scandals they caused, the lies they lived by. However trivial was the reason for Cheney to be in a wheelchair, there was some kind of poetic justice about it.
---------------------------------------------------------
J'écris le prochain billet en français, promis.

2 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Well said Guillaume... I couldn't have put it better myself... and as for that German word "schadeunfreude"... I was trying to think of it a while back pertaining to some nasty thought.. I have to write it down and post it to my bulletin board... Thanks.. It suits your the event perfectly...

Anonymous said...

Agreed......and the word schadeunfreude expresses well the twisted pleasure felt in seeing Cheney's impotence.