Saturday 3 January 2009

A farewell to Québec

I arrived back in England this morning. The trip was okay, but with lots of turbulence. I am tired, jet lagged, hungry and homesick. Sadly, I can't do much for the time being about the latter. I am glad I am "home", but I still don't quite consider England my home. I am still a foreigner in a foreign land. Seeing Québec, seeing the snow, even feeling the cold that makes you feel so alive were all reinvigorating experiences. Just hearing people speaking French with Québec accents made me feel happy. And there was the more personal things: meeting old friends I haven't seen in a while, family I haven't seen in years (my godfather to be more precise) and seeing again my godson and his sister, the two sweetest, most well-behaved children that exist.

Two weeks, when one thinks about it, is not very long. When I was a child, the Christmas holidays lasted until the Epiphany (I will blog about it soon), which we would celebrate. Now it's all over on the 2nd of January. Adult life takes it toll, I think, or our times are too busy for a long holiday. At least, Christmas is still snowy in Québec. I will miss my country a lot.

1 comment:

Gwen Buchanan said...

So you have arrived back in England... you really do miss Quebec don't you, Guillaume? maybe you will live there again.. I hope you do.. for the sake of your soul!