Thursday 29 May 2008

Picadilly

I spent all day in London today, most of it around Picadilly Circus. I am exhausted, but happy. It is a change from here and it's a nice city to visit (to live in, I don't know, but I am curious). Some observations about today:

1)London is nice both in the sun and in the rain.
2)It is a city plagued with tourists. I guess it's normal that the city attracts people and I was a tourist myself, but still, it makes London tacky. There are lots of gift/souvenir shops around, selling very cheap items and lousy postcards.
3)Londoners are often rude. I saw at least two arguments today.
4)Witnessed a rehearsal of Trooping the Colours. It felt like the whole army was rehearsing, but not the Queen. The monarchy is like London: often tacky.
5)There are so many restaurants I want to try there, especially burger places.
6)It's not original, and it is probably the most recognizable place for a tourist in London to go, but Picadilly is probably my favorite place in London.

3 comments:

PJ said...

Comme je disais ailleurs, Londres donne l'impression que Toronto est un petit village tranquille et sans la moindre personalité.

Frankofile said...

In central London, I used to like Westminster and Whitehall - the view from St James's Park bridge was (still is, I hope) amazing.

Anonymous said...

I was only ever in London twice and both times it was raining; still, it was beautiful. But I am certain that it does get the usual onslaught of tourist that many 'big' cities get, and especially so at this time of year.