Sunday 27 April 2008

Summer reading

It is still very hot today, so I am in a Summery mood. I think I might drive my wife crazy with Underneath the Mango Tree. I am about to finish Officer Down so I guess I am enjoying it, but that means I have to read a book soon after. I don,t know if I told it here, but I like to read stories according to the time of the year: stories set in winter/Christmas during Christmastime (On Her Majesty's Secret Service for example), horror stories for Autumn (because of Halloween) and for Springtime and Summer, novels set during a warmer period of the year, or simply adventure/crime novels (what in French is called "lectures d'été", because it's easier to read, "lighter"). I don't know if it's bizarre, but that's how I read, anyway most of the time (I am not maniacal about it, obviously). I don't think Ed McBain's Heat would have been as enjoyable read in the middle of winter. I read it in the heatwave of 2006. It makes it easier to choose a book among the ones on your bookshelf, when you have a wide choice. (which is often my case). Anyway, I put in this entry another image from the Detective Tales magazine (April 1936 edition). I love the guy's eyepatch and where he shoots from. I don't know the story, but it seems a good one.

No comments: