Sunday 21 August 2016

A duet from Cosi fan tutte

Since I watched Cosi fan tutte in the local park two months ago, I have been rediscovering this opera and decided to find some free time to watch again all three collaborative works between Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Lorenzo da Ponte, back to back. Not sure if I will have time until my own little Wolfie arrives, but at least that gives him the occasion to hear Mozart while he is in the womb, and apparently it's good for him and his intellectual development. Anyway, so I thought I would share a duet from Cosi fan tutte, the duet Il core vi dono, sung between Guglielmo (Luca Pisaroni) and Dorabella (Anke Vondung). As I mentioned in my previous post on the subject, if I had studied opera enough to become a professional opera singer, Guglielmo would have been my role, as I am a baritone. Fittingly enough, Guglielmo is also Guillaume in Italian. It's is absolutely sublime as a duet and like the whole opera a complete deconstruction of what a love duet should be. In fact, it is far more about infatuation than love and as you can read in the subtitles, the lyrics are surprisingly raunchy. But it is beautiful all the same and the rendition here is amazing.

No comments: