Saturday 18 June 2016

Summertime Horror

We often think of horror as an autumnal genre, what with Halloween happening well into that season and night starting earlier and being longer. But horror can also be a summery genre. I start longing for Halloween the moment it is over, but it is truly during summertime that I start thinking about it and getting into a mood to read scary stories. So anyway, there was a funfair at the regatta and among its attractions there was this fun house named "Hotel Terror." One of those "haunted" buildings full of monsters and ghosts. I remember going to something like that in La Ronde in Montreal as a child. I loved it. When summer days were cooler or rainy, the experience there inspired many make believe games set in haunted houses and castles. I guess I was slowly preparing for the Halloween season. Later on in life, rainy summer days and summer evenings were spent playing Call of Cthulhu. So long story, short, summer is also a season for horror and Hotel Terror reminded me of it.

1 comment:

Ms Misantropia said...

I'm totally with you. I don't long for autumn just yet, since my garden is giving me such fulfillment during these summer months, but I certainly have started thinking about it. And I know that come August I will be in full Halloween mode.