Thursday 22 January 2015

Don't go to Madagascar

The things we learn during conversation at work sometimes... Yesterday, we were talking about exotic places to visit on holiday and for some reason one of my colleagues mentioned that Madagascar was now considered such a dangerous place that it was strongly advised not to travel there. I checked on the Foreign Office website and it is indeed terrifying: political instability still rampant after a coup d'état in 2009, widespread crime, explosions due to civil unrest, even some foreigners set on fire. I used to think it was a quiet little tropical paradise, I even remember meeting people from there in my first year studying in England. Nice, pleasant people. But no, it looks like heaven, but it is pretty much hell. So here it is, don't go to Madagascar.

4 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i had no idea!

Cynthia said...

Le pire c'est que la peste est endémique à Madagascar. C'est vrai que c'est dommage de ne pas parler de ce pays qui aurait tant besoin d'aide!

Anonymous said...

and here I thought is would be such a wonderful destination holiday, yikes!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Duly noted. It's off my list. Actually, it was never on my list. Right now my list of foreign places I plan to go to within the next couple of years is composed of: Iceland, Maui and London, England.