Friday 14 June 2013

The club sandwich of the Crown in Cookham

I have decided to start a new series of blog posts, food-related, a bit like the Friday sandwich treat posts I used to blog (remember those?). In this one, I will merely plug a restaurant or a pub, or something in particular on their menu. I have decided to start with one of those village pubs that makes England so enjoyable. The pub I am refering to is The Crown in Cookham, which I did not visit very often and only one visit was memorable enough. About a year ago, I went there with my colleagues for lunch. I had their open club sandwich. You can see it on the menu. It was a discovery. I was surprised to love it so much. I think very little of English bacon, in fact I usually don't like it at all. Since bacon is an important part of a self-respecting club sandwich, I also think very little of British club sandwiches. This one, however, was not only decent, it was great. And adding avocado to the mix was a stroke of genius. It is by far one of the best club sandwiches I had in a restaurant, a fancy version of the classic. If you stop by the village (which is absolutely lovely), stop at The Crown and try it. The rest of the menu seems good too. But their club sandwich was devilish.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I was in England, I found their bacon very fatty. Is that why you're not a fan too?

Guillaume said...

Yes, pretty much. It looks and tastes like slices of ham more than bacon. Not nearly crisp enough.