Tuesday 11 December 2012

Fenrir the wolf

Well, today is Tyr's Day as my readership knows from this post. And I am reading at the moment this book. So I decided tonight to upload maybe my favourite picture made by Giovanni Caselli: the giant wolf Fenrir tied down. This shows when he was bounded by the Aesir (I cannot join the a and the e as it should be), after he ate Tyr's hand. The original image is much bigger, I have only uploaded here half of it. As Christmas is coming and I associate Viking myths with the Nativity, and as there is a dark side to Christmas, I thought it was fitting to blog again about Norse mythology and this wanton brutish force that is Fenrir, who personifies the scarier aspects of winter so well.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great picture!

Guillaume said...

It's a great picture indeed. I wonder why Caselli is not more famous.