Monday 16 July 2012

Apocalypse in July

I don't want to repeat myself too much when I blog, and I understand that I recently blogged about the weather. Not even a week ago, in fact. But it is an obsession here: since the beginning of the summer, it has been raining, raining, raining. It is almost a caricature. And there are flood alerts here and there. As I am typing this, it is not raining, but the wind is blowing like mad. It is a strange feeling: it does not feel like July, it is cold, it is miserable and it feels like we are all going to drown eventually.

It is a strange, but not entirely unfamiliar feeling. I have been through a flood once in my life, and I remained (mostly) dry. I am refering of course to the Saguenay Flood of 1996. It will be very soon its anniversary, I will blog about it I think, either in French (although I already did) or in English. I nicknamed it "our share of Apocalypse". When I hear about the flood alerts here, I think about it.

3 comments:

The Gill-Man said...

We've been getting an INCREDIBLE amount of rain here, almost as if it's trying to renew all of the moisture we lost from the horrid drought of last year. I'm not complaining though, as it's keeping the temps down in a time of year when we normally are in the triple digits!

Anonymous said...

I have never experienced a flood, or any other natural disaster for which I am extremely grateful, but I have the greatest respect for water. I can imagine how scary it must be. Most cultures and religions have a big flood narrative. It just shows how rain and floods has a special place in the human psyche. Too little rain and we suffer, too much rain can lead to ruin. It's a love hate relationship at times.

Guillaume said...

@The Gill-Man-Hey, thanks for commenting again! Here, even the incredible is now ordinary. There is plenty of rain, but it lacks a proper storm. I wouldn't mind a bit of summer.
@Anonymous-True that. I remember back in 1996, we just wanted the rain to stop falling and were looking at every cloud with a certain dread.