Tuesday 6 March 2012

Molly Malone (just because)

Yes, I uploaded the song before here. But that was two years ago, or so. And it is St-Patrick's Day soon, and it is March, and I want some Irish music on this blog. Molly Malone isnot the only Irish song I love to listen to, you can find many here if you check the labels, but it is maybe the only one I sing easily (as opposed to others). I mean I know the lyrics of Molly Malone and I can sing it maybe without the Irish accent, but with the right tone, the melancholic pathos. Singing such song is easy enough, singing it right is an entirely other matter. I am not singing it perfectly, far from it, but with a bit of practice I think I might: one has to put the soul in it, so to speak. Or maybe a pint or two of Guinness. But I should maybe avoid the temptation of being too operatic.

You can read more about what I think of Dublin's officious anthem here. A few more observations: Dublin's most famous girl next door must have stunk of fish and seafood. But when you love fish, cockles, mussels and the salty smell of the sea, it is not be stinky at all for you, and I think it may even have added to her charm. She had the Irish accent too, but I guess in a city of Irishmen, that was not exactly exotic. Anyway, I am not original, I am also a tad repetitive, so the reader might forgive me but I decided to upload again a version by the Dubliners. Like two years ago. I am not very original, but I find it difficult to find someone who sings it as good as they do.

4 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh don't worry about it Guillaume, add you operatic voice right in there.. it's a celebration, and every voice counts.

thanks for the music.. I felt I was there clinking glasses.

tao.owl said...

Guinness and Molly Malone sounds like a perfect pairing :-)

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Great song....love both versions. Please post the Dubliners version...cannot hear that too many times!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I care for neither cockles or mussels, but I just love this song:-) It gets the feet tapping and puts wunderlust in them too. I only visited Dublin once for two short days, and hearing this song makes me want to visit again.