Thursday 10 September 2009

Revisiting a childhood memory (and a tree)

The things one learn sometimes through blogging... I learned recently from this blog that the rowan tree, in French called a sorbier, is associated with witchcraft and supernatural in folklore. It has many names in English, many of them very poetic: witchbane, whispering tree, witchwood, witchen, etc. I say this because I grew up with such a tree the back garden, in a remote place of the garden, behind the fence of the swimming pool. I never thought it had such strong otherwordly associations. I wish I knew. My brothers and I used to play swords and sorcery games, or Dracula games, or ghost games, or other childhood make-belief games, around it (or around one of our apple trees, another tree associated with supernatural), from springtime to late autumn. It was certainly a fitting setting for the spooky games we used to play.

1 comment:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Yes...wasn't that a need blog post? And to think you had such a magical tree right there in your yard. Perhaps it was the trees magic that fueled you and your brothers imaginations to come up with such fantastical games of sorcery, ghosts and Dracula! :o)